- Be between 30 seconds and 3 minutes in length.
- Contain a catchy motive of 3-5 notes that loops.
- Contain a QUANTIZED drum beat/percussion line with at least 2 instruments/layers.
- Contain a harmony and/or bass that fits the motive and drum beat.
- Have a thoughtful form- beginning, middle, and end (Not just the same thing looped over and over for 3 minutes! It must change/evolve over time.).
VOCAB TO KNOW:
Plugin- (examples- Synthmaster, Alchemy, etc.) A set of sounds or effects that you can download and "plug in" to another program like Garageband.
Motive- A catchy, short melodic line that repeats.
Quantize- A function that lines up notes you play perfectly to the beat.
Harmony/Bass- The foundation (often lower notes) over which the motive is built.
Timbre- The character, quality, intensity, thickness/thinness, brightness/darkness, etc. of a sound.